nafex - [NAFEX] pondering peaches in zone 5

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pondering peaches in zone 5
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 13:22:53 -0700 (PDT)

I'd heard that peaches are subject to every disease and pest out there, so
I'd resolved not to bother with them. Then my neighbor had to go and tell me
about her friend's completely neglected peach tree, which produced oodles of
delicious fruit for no effort at all. So now I'm thinking peaches again.

Should someone talk me out of this? I'm in zone 5a, and have heavy clay soil
(although it's on a slope, so water doesn't sit on it.) I'm thinking either
'Reliance' or 'Fingerlakes S.H.' on standard rootstock might have a chance.
Does anyone recommend one over the other? Or recommend a different cold-hardy
peach? Or maybe I should stick with trouble-free stuff like mulberries.

In other news, my one blooming plum tree is shivering in the cold today.
These silly Prunus species.

Melissa
zone 5, central NY