nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Plum or Apricot

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Plum or Apricot
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 18:05:54 -0400

Caren, Ken Taylor on Ile Perrot by Montreal told me that he got a decent
crop of apricots about 2 years out of 5. He has a lot of water around
him, and many of his trees are on a high sandy hill with excellent air
drainage. My guess is that he has better conditions than you.

I think that apricots on apricot root would need well drained sandy soil
near neutral pH.

I believe Scout is pure Manchurian and that it is less reliable
than Morden 604. By the way, Westcot out of the same stable as Morden
604 was named because it was considered more reliable.

My vote would be for plum. Do you have Mount Royal? It is well liked,
dual purpose, a smallish tree with good crotch angles, said to be more
disease resistant than most.

I expect Dom. Damas is a damson type of Quebec origin. Most damsons are
best suited for preserves, though very good for that purpose.

At <http://grou.ps/groworganicapples/wiki>
you will find some information about cultivars and rootstocks mostly for climates similar to yours, though unfortunately not for the cultivars you mentioned. I'm sure that members who grow them will respond.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Caren Kirk wrote:
I am always trying to find space for another fruit so I have carved out a small area that's pretty sheltered that I think would be good for a small tree. I am always attracted to apricots but have been warned that I'm unlikely to get fruit up here with the changeable spring weather we have ( 26 degC last saturday, 2 degC today).
Apricots that are locally available and suitable for my zone are Scout and Morden 604. I don't know what either are like taste-wise.
Otherwise I was thinking of another European plum to help boost yields on my Mirabelle. There is a variety listed as Dom. Damas, does anyone have any experience with it?
Whatever the tree I would like something attractive as it will be very visible from the house.
On another note I lost an apple whip so I was looking for a replacement tree. Again locally ( I have missed the boat for most mail-orders) there are Priscilla or Nova Easy Gro available that looked interesting to me.
If anyone has any advice on these varieties, I would be glad to hear it.
Caren Kirk
St. Jerome, QC