nafex - [NAFEX] Plum or Apricot

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Plum or Apricot
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 15:01:46 -0400

I am always trying to find space for another fruit so I have carved out a small area that's pretty sheltered that I think would be good for a small tree. I am always attracted to apricots but have been warned that I'm unlikely to get fruit up here with the changeable spring weather we have ( 26 degC last saturday, 2 degC today).

Apricots that are locally available and suitable for my zone are Scout and Morden 604.  I don't know what either are like taste-wise.

Otherwise I was thinking of another European plum to help boost yields on my Mirabelle. There is a variety listed as Dom. Damas, does anyone have any experience with it?

Whatever the tree I would like something attractive as it will be very visible from the house.

On another note I lost an apple whip so I was looking for a replacement tree. Again locally ( I have missed the boat for most mail-orders) there are Priscilla or Nova Easy Gro available that looked interesting to me.

If anyone has any advice on these varieties, I would be glad to hear it.

Caren Kirk
St. Jerome, QC