nafex - [NAFEX] Grafting & parafilm

  • From: Clifford Cain - uk yahoo <cc_syorks@yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grafting & parafilm
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 21:36:11 +0100

Sorry for mixing subjects but they are interlinked...

My experience of grafting apples has been that the sap does need to be active in the rootstock and the scion must be dormant. If the scion wood is active, its energy goes into making leaf rather than healing the graft union.

When I graft I tape (either with grafting tape - polypropylene tape or parafilm / buddy tape ) and cover the whole of the tape and scion (typically 3 buds) with grafting wax. I do this on the basis that it stops the scion from dehydrating whilst the graft union is healing.
The texts also say you should not graft in November, I did 50 MM106 rootstocks, still in the green, with Charles Ross. 42 took. A poorer success rate than my usual 98% but it works.

My closing remark is one I seem to use a lot these days - the plants have not read the books, they do things they are not supposed too and mis-behave on timings terribly. I suspect that is our human trait trying to run to a calender rather than being governed by the weather & environment.

Regards

Clifford Cain
Doncaster, UK
www.fruitscape.co.uk

  • [NAFEX] Grafting & parafilm, Clifford Cain - uk yahoo, 04/08/2010