nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Best edible plants in Zone 5 rain garden?

  • From: Mathew Waehner <waehner@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Best edible plants in Zone 5 rain garden?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 11:47:20 -0500

Groundnut (apois americana) is a fast growing vine that lives in bottomlands.  It produces starchy tubers, edible seeds, and fixes nitrogen.  It has pretty flowers, but might get a bit too large for a home rain garden.  It climbs other trees.

Arrowroot (wapato) was a native american staple food that could grow well in the bottom part of a rain garden.  Although we sometimes think if it as an aquatic plant, it grows well in soil that in only periodically flooded.  It might need supplemental water during a drought.

I'm not in a climate where I can grow cranberries, but I think they would thrive in zone 5.  They are similar to blueberries, except that they tolerate being completely underwater for a few days at a time.

Mulberries love to grow on steep creek banks, with their trunk sticking out horizontally just above the normal high water line.  They grow incredibly fast and produce lots of fruit.  They are unpopular in residential landscapes because they lead to purple bird poo on everyone's car.  I like planing mulberries, because I feel that in an indirect way I'm pooping on all those cars.