nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Best edible plants in Zone 5 rain garden?

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Best edible plants in Zone 5 rain garden?
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:16:42 EST

In a message dated 2/16/2010 6:27:40 PM Eastern Standard Time, dwoodard@becon.org writes:

I wonder if pawpaw and just maybe northern pecan might suit.

Here in Vigo County Indiana were I-70 crosses the Wabash River are many pecan trees growing wild in the river bottoms. This also happens to be about the most northern natural range for pecans along the Wabash River. During the spring flooding they stand in water, sometimes for durations well over 30 days.  But you asked about standing in water during the growing period. These tree are mature, 50 to 75 feet tall and during their lifetime would have had flooded quite frequently during the active growing period. What I can't cannot say is, if they stand in water in June for example do they suffer from oxygen deprivation and abort the fruit and maybe even reduce the leaf population. But certainly the trees survive.

I have not searched out or observed the pawpaws in the same area.

Jerry