nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Are all rhubarbs the same?

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Are all rhubarbs the same?
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 22:38:12 -0800 (PST)

I had two rhubard plants side by side in a rhubarb-unfriendly climate and I'm
surprised how different they were. One was a lot more red and tastier but
did not thrive; the other did somewhat better, tended to bolt, and wasn't as
good (I simmered with sugar for tasting). I don't recall now what the flavor
difference was, I'd have thought rhubard is mostly just tart.

Lisa (previously in hot dry sunny Southern Oregon)