nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Are all rhubarbs the same?

  • From: Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Are all rhubarbs the same?
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 10:20:05 -0700

Rhubarb question: I had a strange experience with rhubarb not too long ago and wonder if anyone has heard of this. After munching on some raw rhubarb stalks on a hot summer day (which I remember doing as a kid), I basically lost my sense of taste for a week. It was a horrifying experience, especially since I didn't know if the loss would be permanent. It's hard to describe how devastating it is not to be able to taste anything.

I know that rhubarb contains oxalic acid, which is a tiny crystal that can physically damage tissues. I know that the leaves of rhubarb are not supposed to be eaten for this reason. I wouldn't want anyone to go through the taste loss that I experienced, especially if it ends up being long lasting. Has anyone heard of this phenomenon? I believe that oxalic acid is broken down by cooking.

Jay Cutts
I had two rhubard plants side by side in a rhubarb-unfriendly climate and I'm surprised how different they were. One was a lot more red and tastier but did not thrive; the other did somewhat better, tended to bolt, and wasn't as good (I simmered with sugar for tasting). I don't recall now what the flavor difference was, I'd have thought rhubard is mostly just tart.
Lisa (previously in hot dry sunny Southern Oregon)

thinking of planting out a big patch of rhubarb. I'm
curious if there
is really much difference between rhubarbs, especially as

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions. ----
to change other email options):

Please do not send binary files.