nafex - Re: [NAFEX] tree gooseberries (and grafting)

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] tree gooseberries (and grafting)
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 22:27:55 -0500

John,
    In researching gooseberries   I found that UK nurseries often sell grafted gooseberries to save space in tiny English gardens.
    In doing grafts, I find that two kinds work best for me.   With a bark graft I don't even have to think about matching scions, and get a very high % of takes.  It takes dormant small scions in the refrigerator and larger actively growing rootstocks in the ground. I make a long tail on the scion and slit the bark on the stock, which needs to be slipping.  Second best for me is a simple splice graft.  I used to make long cuts, thinking the more contact I could get the better.  But they seem to do pretty well with a shallower angle too.  I have pretty well given up on the backcut to make the "tongue" that is so popular in illustrations, as it's a great way to slice yourself severely.  I got to see some professionals in action, and they had their fingers wrapped in layers of masking tape to prevent accidents.
    I used to have terrible results grafting, till T.O. Warren's wonderful article on the subject appeared in Pomona years ago.  He said that a good sharp knife, healthy scions and vigorous rootstocks were all you really needed to ensure good results.  I have found this to be the case.  Keep in mind that a dry season can cause failures that you may blame on yourself.  Water rootstocks the week before if you are concerned.  Good luck!   Donna