nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Russian olives

  • From: <jelie@new.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Russian olives
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 1:00:07 +0000

Hey Lee,

Sure, no problem with sending some seeds your way. Just send your address to
me outside of the listserv and I will get them in the mail.

I have to admit that I got the idea to order some igde/senjed fruit from the
Plants for a Future website. There was some discussion on whether they were
actually elaeagnus or some other fruit so I decided I would check it out for
myself. I found they were in fact elaeagnus and knew I would plant out a
few. The soaking regimen was roughly that recommended for apple pippins by
Phil Forsline of the USDA. I soaked the seeds for about 4-6 days (sorry,
wasn't keeping records) while repeating water changes. I then placed them in
with a damp paper towel in a plastic bag and monitored. I periodically
disinfected them with a 1:10 bleach solution as needed. At around 3 months I
started planting them out but had no germination in the refrigerator up to
that time. A few that remained were germinating in the refrigerator at
around four months. I transplanted the rest of the seeds outdoors and have
had good success with the seedlings coming up with no noticeable signs of
disease or pests so far.

My Trebizond Dates from One Green World seem to be holding their own so far.
I transplanted all of them into larger containers after dividing some of the
trunk sections. They seem to have had a decent year.

Enjoyed your Uncommon Fruits

Jim Elie
Green Bay WI
zone 4/5