nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Killing grapevines

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Killing grapevines
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 18:31:51 -0700

Grapes don't regenerate from roots. They have to have a pre-existing bud to grow from. That means that you don't need to dig any deeper than the bottom of the original cutting. Find the point where the roots came out at the bottom and cut them off a couple of inches from the trunk. Take out the vine. You'll have a lot of roots in the hole, but they won't sprout back, though they can live for up to four years.
-Lon Rombough
NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short, low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/