nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Killing grapevines

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Killing grapevines
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 20:01:11 -0400

Glyphosate, i.e. Roundup supposedly breaks down quickly in soil, and
is in my experience, not harmful to other plants around if applied to
a cut stump at rates up to 52% active ingredient. Cut the stump, and
apply herbicide within 5 minutes. You need to use at least 20%
glyphosate. Only time this won't work is when sap is rising in spring.
Triclopyr is also effective, however I am less familiar with its side
effects on the soil and other plants.

-matt z5 se mi