nafex - [NAFEX] Is my Asian pear "runted out"?

  • From: "nuttrees" <nuttrees@prtcnet.org>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Is my Asian pear "runted out"?
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 21:15:22 -0400

Alex

   I have Shinko on OHxF333 and they are coming out also the trees are 14 year old and only about 6 to 7 feet tall and produce very poorly small fruit slow growth and with heavy pruning no bud wood for propagation.  Also a note all of our other trees are on Calleryana root stock because 1) Calleryana is a true Asian pear no incompatibility problems and a stronger trees that will last years beyond my death.

    2) Calleryana is a tap rooted type root stock that will put roots that will with stand drought and high winds and the trees are easy to manage by cutting the tops out of the trees every 3 to 4 year to keep the trees spreading out instead of the insane straight up growth habits.

   3) I do not recommend Shinko on any root stock do to the amount of manual thinning required to prevent over producing with the result of small fruit.

   But on a good note Shinko top worked with other cultivars like limbs with multiple grafts of different cultivars makes excellent mother trees for producing scion wood the growth is very health and rapid growth and come to bear age early.

This has been my experience with Shinko

Thank you

Kum England

England's Orchard and Nursery

316 KY HWY 2004

McKeeKY  40447

Specializing in Exotic Fruit and Nut trees for alternative crops.  Phone 606 965 2228 / 2270  Cell # 859 582 2114

On the web at www.nuttrees.net