nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Killing grapevines

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Killing grapevines
  • Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 13:52:34 -0500

You probably overcropped the Alwood. That would make it ripen late, and have low acid and low sugar. Overcropping is very easy to do with a young vine, especially with a less vigorous variety like Alwood. Thin the fruit next season and it will ripen earlier and taste a lot better.

Thanks, Lon. I'll give it another year, then. My biggest problem with it was ripening with the Concords, since I'm so swamped with grapes at that time. So if I can get it to ripen earlier that might really help. And it might taste better without the direct comparison with the Concords, too. :-)

I'm still going to poison the Caco, though. I've had it for several years, and it just goes to waste. It seems to ripen slightly later than the Concords, but I'm eating Concord grapes for a good month (they keep pretty well in the refrigerator). And the Caco have always been a bit sour, to my taste.

Besides, if I get rid of the Caco, I've got room for something else. Heh, heh. I'm thinking about another early grape, since I don't have as much fruit early in the season. But then, I don't know if I really need another variety. Actually, I'm quite sure that I don't. But I just like to try different kinds.

Thanks again,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things: One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love. - Butch Hancock