nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberries for TN?

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberries for TN?
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 09:19:17 -0500

John in PA wrote: "Even though we had a cloudy summer, fruit quality was excellent and prolific berries produced, despite the reduced light from the clouds and screen."

I hate to say it, but considering where gooseberries are from, (England and the Hinnomaki's from Finland) but perhaps your berries did better BECAUSE of the clouds and reduced light from screening.  I definitely plan to plant mine where they will have mostly shade, that stands out pretty clearly from both Nafexers experience and the KY bulletins.  I have read elsewhere that the green-yellow berries don't get as sweet, though Lon said that the H. Yellow is really nice when well ripened.  I would definitely have to screen mine to acheive that.  The first cardinal that tasted one would tell all the rest.  Thanks again for all the advice.  I've put the lot into a Word document.  Oh, I wonder if Jackie would like it?  I've fiddled with it already to make it take up less room, not really editing but like Mark Twain said, taking out every other word to make it read more lively.    Donna