nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberries for TN?

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberries for TN?
  • Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 09:50:21 -0500

Bill, the sprawling growth of Hinnomaki Yellow that you have observed is
typical for that cultivar. Many commercial sources describe it as having a
rather prostrate growth habit and being rather difficult to harvest for that
reason. In fact, at least one nursery sells it grafted to a Ribes trunk.

That might be interesting to try. There certainly doesn't seem to be any way to get it to grow higher just through pruning.

But in my case, I can't really say that it's harder to pick than any other gooseberry. But then, I've got them planted in a limited space. The others grow so much that there's very little room for me (and what room there is is thorny!). At least H. Yellow stays small enough that I can maneuver around it (if not easily). :-)

Thanks for the info, Sam. If I plant another, I'll look for something like that.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Channeling is just bad ventriloquism. You use another voice, but people can see your lips moving. - Penn Jillette