nafex - Re: [NAFEX] skin thickness in pears

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] skin thickness in pears
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 09:27:15 -0500

Oh, a post I missed on a favorite subject.

Lisa,
I too note the difference in skin thickness in pears and consider it a very important quality. The oriental pears all seem to have thick skin and are best peeled. That quality seems to have gone into a lot of the hybrids, in fact I'd say you have to get down to the 1/4 oriental hybrids to get rid of it. In this area, the thin skinned pears I have met that are doing well here are Beierschmidt, a Bartlett seedling that is really nice, Ayers, which is incredible, and Pineapple, which is hard to place. Pineapple is round like an oriental, thin skinned and tart, with very little pear flavor. I have met what I think is Turnbull with slightly tougher skin, and my first crop of Warrens had thickish skin but not grainy, with delectable flavor underneath. Orient, by extreme contrast, has very tough rough skin, but when picked green and ripened, is melting and a bit gritty. Lucky would hate it, despite the grit. Donna

  • Re: [NAFEX] skin thickness in pears, Kieran &/or Donna, 10/05/2009