nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sunchokes

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sunchokes
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 14:31:13 -0700

A lot of roots - dahlia and particularly yacon are recently discussed
examples - contain inulin. It's a fructose polymer - several fructose
molecules bound together in a chain. It has a mildly sweet taste. In terms
of human digestion, it's a fiber - it acts as one as it passes through the
intestine. Unlike other fibers, it's a very good food for your intestinal
bacteria, which is a good thing in small quantities; in suddenly large
quantities, the human would feel the effects of the bacteria's production of
CO2 and other inulin metabolites - similar to what you'd feel eating a
quantity of beans if you hadn't built up to it. Sugar polymers (Olestra,
inulin) can be used as non-caloric fat substitutes in foods - good heat
stability and mouthfeel. When used as a fat substitute, it will be listed
on the label - properly - as fiber, not fat. It can also be used to add some
sweetness to foods without raising the glycemic index at all; no increase in
blood sugar, no increase in triglycerides. We don't digest it - we feed it
to our resident flora.

~ Stephen