nafex - Re: [NAFEX] OT: squirells, coytes and wolves, oh my.

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] OT: squirells, coytes and wolves, oh my.
  • Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 10:51:29 -0400

So true! The same week the daily newspaper ran the story about bear relocation in the Adirondacks, our little town weekly paper had a story about coyotes. It said that many people have seen them around town and there is a rash of disappearing cats and small dogs. My wife is afraid to let our cat go out after dark. If we had the wolves, this wouldn't be a problem. People just can't get over the image of the "big bad wolf".

Steve

Kevin Moore wrote:
I agree with Lucky here. Squirrels are in no way, shape or form in any danger of dying out any time soon. The best place for them is in a stew pot. As far as re-introductions of wildlife, wolves are a very good idea. If you don't have wolves, you end up with coyotes. Personally, I think wolves are far less dangerous to domestic animals and are easily dissuaded by a good stock dog. Coyotes, on the other hand, will attack almost any livestock smaller than a cow, and aren't particularly impressed by the presence of a dog.