nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fig flavor

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fig flavor
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 09:58:43 -0500

This of course makes a huge difference. Here in Zone 4b in SW Wisconsin I'm growing my figs outside in containers with no greenhouse. Last year I barely ripened anything tho I had a good fruit set. This year I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The weather the last 2 weeks is helping a lot. I have a lot of varieties that come awful close to ripening, if only the season was about 2 weeks longer. All my trees come out of the basement first week of May, just beginning to break bud & the season is over here anywhere between Oct 1 - Oct 15.

Also Anton mentioned Atreano which I have a few 2 year olds that are loaded with fruit & looking like a good choice for container culture. We'll see if they ripen here. I'm hoping to get the producing varieties inside a greenhouse next year.

~mIEKAL