nafex - Re: [NAFEX] OT: squirells, coytes and wolves, oh my. OT

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] OT: squirells, coytes and wolves, oh my. OT
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 11:09:38 -0500

Steve wrote:
our little town weekly paper had a story
about coyotes. It said that many people have seen them around town and
there is a rash of disappearing cats and small dogs. My wife is afraid
to let our cat go out after dark. If we had the wolves, this wouldn't be
a problem. People just can't get over the image of the "big bad wolf".

Steve,
Wolves can, will, and do eat dogs and cats, and despite claims by the 'wolf
reintroduction' folks, there are numerous documented cases of wolves
attacking and killing humans - see details on one of the more recent ones,
the killing and consumption of Kenton Carnegie, here:
http://mainehuntingtoday.com/bbb/2008/12/30/death-by-wolves-and-misleading-a
dvocacy-the-kenton-carnegie-tragedy/

We have coyotes here, and I know they eat cats and small dogs(I've performed
necropsies on coyotes that had identifiable cat parts in their stomachs) -
but if I lived in an area of the country where wolf reintroduction had been
effected, believe me, as a livestock producer and outdoorsman, I wouldn't be
feeling all warm and fuzzy about the prospect of wolves in my neighborhood.

Lucky