nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wild(?) pear question

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wild(?) pear question
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 08:03:46 -0700

Pyrus betulafolia is one of the preferred stocks for resistance to pear psylla. The main problem is that most of the material in the U.S. came from the southern part of the species' range and isn't hardy. But there is material from the northern part that is very hardy. In 1990 I sent seed of it from the Germplasm Repository to Wayne Fuhr in Canada. He reported that young trees took -40 in November with only slight damage at the ends of twigs. I have had a row of seedlings of that material for some years and I think they have real potential.
-Lon Rombough
NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short, low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/