nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wild(?) pear question

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wild(?) pear question
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 09:45:32 -0500

A friend alerted me to a huge old tree that I just missed. The ground is covered with 2" hard yellow balls, mostly brown now. they are too sour for anything except probably making vinegar, which is something I like to do. they could of course be made into perry or pear wine and blended with a batch of something bland. Yes, the astringency is important to making good wine, perry, or hard cider.
But Jim, I highly recommend that if the tree is not too big to regraft, that you find some really hardy variety(s) and graft onto the hardy frame. Tell your neighbor you expect half the crop every year. That way you expand your growing area without having to buy land or even take care of the tree! For a little investment of time, you can make your neighbor happy and experiment without wasting your precious space. Donna