nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wild(?) pear question

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wild(?) pear question
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 09:49:56 -0500

No, the one thing I read every time about calleryana is that it's NOT hardy as a rootstock.  That leaves P. ussuriensis as the most likely candidate.  Okolo is a  ussuriensis offspring that may be hardy enough for you, from Dr. Hansen's work I think.  I didn't get good takes from my grafts of that one, but if you'll look at the Corvallis site, they have a list of hardy pears.  You'll want only the very hardiest.  You can call for nominations right here.  Donna