nafex - [NAFEX] sudden apricot death

  • From: Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] sudden apricot death
  • Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 10:29:55 -0600

Here's an interesting occurence:

I had an apricot x plum of some kind and during a couple years when we had very dry spring weather, the squirrels learned to eat all of the leaves off it except for the very ends of the branches. The tree ended up looking like a trimmed poodle. Even for a year or two afterwards, it still had most of its leaves on the ends of the branches. This year it was dead in the spring. Guess it couldn't recover.

I have learned to live trap the offending squirrels and relocate them, since only certain ones learned to eat those leaves. It actually took a long time to figure out that it was squirrels. Imagine looking out and seeing most of the leaves gone off of one of your trees except for little tufts at the end!
Best,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Cutts Graduate Reviews