nafex - Re: [NAFEX] weirdly useless soil

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] weirdly useless soil
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 22:01:32 -0400

Well, the company agrees with you. Although the package (pictured on their website) says "Gardening Soil. For potting outdoor containers & planting beds and gardens" the response from the company says in part:

"The Cobscook blend gardening soil is heavy for growing vegetables. It
works well to enhance the soil with organic matter as an amendment, but
it doesn't provide enough pore space for many veggies and some annuals
when used in containers.... "

and goes on to offer me a free replacement product next year. I noticed that the weed seeds that have germinated in that pot haven't grown much, either - they have some mature leaves but are tiny, the size of seedlings. The other pots had some healthy wood sorrel and similar until I pulled them out this evening.

Ginda