nafex - Re: [NAFEX] weirdly useless soil

  • From: "Ginda Fisher" <list@ginda.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] weirdly useless soil
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 12:09:08 -0400

It was marketed as suitable for potting soil, not as a soil amendment.  Also, another of the pots has almost pure composted cow manure, and while the tomatoes put on a bit too much vegetative growth compared to fruit output in that pot, they grow fine.

The pot I'm concerned about has anemic-looking small plants, not dead plants.  When I accidentally spill a pile of corn gluten on the lawn I get a dead patch in a circle of lush growth, not pale anemic plants.

-- Ginda

Melissa Kacalanos wrote:

I haven't checked email for a while, so forgive me if someone mentioned this already, but we're talking about a soil amendment that was used as potting soil? I think the problem is simple, then, since potting soil has very specific drainage requirements. You can't just take a soil amendment meant for the garden and expect it to do well when used straight in a pot, since it probably doesn't have the right drainage. It might lead to problems even if used in too high a concentration in the garden, since the nutrient levels might be too high, and might burn roots. I bet this amendment was meant to be spread thinly over a garden and mixed in, not used straight.

Melissa

_______________________________________________ nafex mailing list nafex@lists.ibiblio.org Reproduction of list messages or archives is not allowed. This includes distribution on other email lists or reproduction on web sites. Permission to reproduce is NEVER granted, so don't claim you have permission! **YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!** Posts from email addresses that are not subscribed are discarded. No exceptions. ---- To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be used to change other email options): http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex File attachments are NOT stripped by this list. TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES! Please do not send binary files. Use plain text ONLY in emails! NAFEX web site: http://www.nafex.org/