nafex - Re: [NAFEX] favorite nurseries for a northeast grower (NY 6)

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] favorite nurseries for a northeast grower (NY 6)
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 23:26:06 -0400

On Sep 2, 2009, at 6:08 PM, Alan Haigh wrote:
For anything she carries I love ordering from Lucille at Whitman's Farms. She sell me larger IE mulberries than Burnt Ridge and gives me a quantity price even if I order 5. I you're ordering 1 you still may get a larger tree (more roots and top so they do plug in quicker). She's got every kind of ribes you're likely to be interested in.

Wow! I just spent too much time on her website. She has an enormous selection of all sorts of interesting stuff, edible and ornamental. And I made an impulse purchase of a weeping redbud (I had no idea one existed) and a couple of evergreen huckleberries. Lucille was very helpful. She warned me that she's not sure the huckleberries will be hardy out here. (It says "zone 5-6" on her website, but she says that's what she was told, but she's not sure she believes it) I suspect a more serious problem is that those huckleberries are very picky about soil, and mine might not suit them, but I want to give it another try. (I tried some seedlings a fellow NAFEXer gave me a few years ago, and they didn't survive their second winter. But it was an awfully pretty plant, and is said to have very tasty fruit, and I figure I don't lose much by trying again.)

Thanks for the tip.