nafex - [NAFEX] Pluots

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pluots
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 09:16:53 -0400

Bill, Flavor Grenade is a very late ripening pluot. I'm not sure when it will ripen in your climate but its in the Sept-Oct range. So I think you just need to wait on it.

I have heard that Flavor Grenade is the one pluot which actually sets a crop of fruit outside the west coast and it sounds like you are also having luck on that front. I have been getting almost no fruits on my Flavor Supreme and Flavor King and plan to try Flavor Grenade as my last attempt at pluots. It will also be nice to have a plum so far out of the normal plum season. I have similarly enjoyed Spring Satin which gives me plums in late June, about a month early. (Note I am calling these plums because thats what they taste like, no apricot flavor in them to me.)

Scott