nafex - [NAFEX] Pluots

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: NAFEX List <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pluots
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 10:09:52 -0500

Does anyone know if pluots will ripen after being picked? They don't seem to do it for me (these are the Flavor Grenade variety, if it matters).

Then again, they don't seem to be ripening on the tree, either. They've looked "almost ripe" for a month now. They got to the stage where they were partially red, but still with some green,... and they've stayed that way for week after week. I've sampled them, and no, they're not ripe. And I've brought them inside - those which I knocked off the tree, or otherwise ended up on the ground for no apparent reason - and they don't want to ripen on the counter, either.

It seems particularly odd to me because they are supposed to be three-quarters plum (and this variety seems to be quite plum-like in appearance and taste, too). And my plums ripen REALLY fast when brought inside. Well, they ripen pretty quickly on the tree, too, once they get started.

I was just wondering. This is my first year with fruit, and I've got a ton of it on this particular tree. But I've had it netted for a long time now, and the robins have figured out how to get inside. They're really doing a number on the fruit.

Thanks,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
It's hard to short America in the long term. - Warren Buffett