nafex - [NAFEX] Fireblight

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fireblight
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 10:32:01 -0500

Pruning apples from mid-July on does not stimulate much vegetative growth and that growth is not noticeably tender in my experience.

But isn't there a problem with fireblight in summer pruning apples? I've been pruning everything else but apples and pears, because I've had fireblight really bad on my Suncrisp apple, and I didn't want it to spread. Unfortunately, a couple of my trees REALLY need pruning.

I must admit that I haven't notice fireblight on the Suncrisp where I cut off infected branches (it just seems to pop up at random), but I thought that was how it spread, through cuts (and through blossoms, during that time of year). I've had a LOT of fireblight on the Suncrisp (a fireblight magnet, as some of you have told me), but nothing yet on the three trees planted only 18" away. I had a little bit, earlier in the season, on my Pink Lady apple, but I haven't seen anything on my European or Asian pears.

What do you think? Do I need to avoid summer pruning on all my apples and pears, or not?

Thanks,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception. - Groucho Marx