nafex - Re: [NAFEX] summer pruning in Z 5-6 New York

  • From: "ROBERT W JUDY A HARTMAN" <hartmansfruit@msn.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] summer pruning in Z 5-6 New York
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 15:10:40 -0700

I am located in western Washington.  Lee, wouldn't you say that the growing conditions are very similar to that area?  I am currently training 36 trees in the espalier format, thus the question to you.

Thanks,
Bob
Pruning for espalier was developed in northern Europe. Speaking, now, from personal observation, apples and pears pruned using European espalier techniques almost never respond here the way they do in Europe. As I point out in my book, The Pruning Book,  growing conditions in northern Europe are quite different from those of most of the US as far as summer and winter temperatures, rainfall patterns, and daylength, all of which could be responsible for those differences.

Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
A Northeast Gardener's Year
The Pruning Book