nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fireblight

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fireblight
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:23:21 -0500

It seems fire blight is never gone, just dormant if you have had it on certain trees or blocks. I am speaking from the experience of spraying for fire blight on 12,000 trees. If you have only a few trees and have had fire blight, I believe you will always need to be prepared for an infection on those trees again. And if you only have a few trees, and have sprayed copper at dormancy/green tip and strep at least every 7 days during the bloom period.....you have done all you can to combat it. We have summer pruned certain trees and continue to prune out any infected shoots all through the summer without spreading it throughout the orchard and before terminal buds have set. the effects of summer pruning will be felt the next spring, so I don't think it will hurt to go ahead and do your needed summer pruning. As a matter of fact, the majority of pruning on our tall spindle trees is done in the summer, usually in late June/early July. But again, we have applied our sprays for fire blight with the addition of Mychoshield in the blocks where it was heavy the previou season.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
Office (815) 648-4467
Mobile (815) 228-2174