nafex - Re: [NAFEX] summer pruning in Z 5-6 New York

  • From: "Ginda Fisher" <list@ginda.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] summer pruning in Z 5-6 New York
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 08:43:20 -0400

I live in New England, which I've been led to believe has a climate similar to that of old England.  And I've seen espaliers both here and there.

Espaliers are generally ornamental as well as productive, gracing estates or fitting neatly into the landscaping of more modest homes.  While they seem to produce plently of fruit, I have to believe there are less labor-intensive ways to maximize fruit production per acre in commercial applications, both here and across the pond.  I have driven by many an orchard in Europe and never seen one with espalied trees, except perhaps next to a building, as an ornament.

So my take is that espaliers work pretty much the same here as in Europe.  I've certainly never measured the total production of anyone else's tree, but I've seen fruit-laden espaliers on both sides of the Atlantic, and they seem to produce enough to satisfy their owners.

-- Ginda

Lee Reich wrote:

Photoperiod would be different; other environmental conditions would be similar.

Please note that a well grown espalier does two things. First is the form developed by its branches. That form can be developed anywhere; it's not hard to coax apple or pear trees into almost any shape with repeated pruning and bending. The second part is that the branches are densely clothed in flowers, then fruits, something you rarely see on this side of the Atlantic.

Spur bearing and columnar varieties and dwarfing rootstocks are a more sure way to get that density of flowers and fruits than pruning here.

Take a look at the photos in Lorette's old book on Lorette pruning to see just how dense with fruit an espalier -- in northern France -- can be. I'd be interested to know if your espaliers are that dense with fruits and flowers.

Lee
Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
A Northeast Gardener's Year