nafex - Re: [NAFEX] summer pruning in Z 5-6 New York

  • From: Lee Reich <lreich@hvc.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] summer pruning in Z 5-6 New York
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 18:01:31 -0400

You'll probably write this off as academia vs real world . . . but research has shown that although summer pruning does not seem to stimulate much vegetative growth, that growth does actually occur -- the next year. So summer pruning is not generally more dwarfing than is dormant pruning, as is often alleged. Of course, in summer you do have the opportunity to prune regrowth, should it occur, again and again, all of which surely would have a more dwarfing effect.

Pruning for espalier was developed in northern Europe. Speaking, now, from personal observation, apples and pears pruned using European espalier techniques almost never respond here the way they do in Europe. As I point out in my book, The Pruning Book,  growing conditions in northern Europe are quite different from those of most of the US as far as summer and winter temperatures, rainfall patterns, and daylength, all of which could be responsible for those differences.

Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
A Northeast Gardener's Year
The Pruning Book