nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Nafex Forum?

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Nafex Forum?
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 13:47:06 -0400

Hi Ron,
This isn't really a newsgroup, it's just an e-mail list that is distributed by ibiblio.org. The difference is that the e-mails come directly to your e-mail address rather than you needing to find them on a news server.
I feel that "site" should only refer to a web site.
This isn't a true "forum" but we use it like one I think.
I think of what I'm writing as a "post" because I'm putting it up for everyone here to see but maybe that term should be reserved for true forums and newsgroups.

As far as following the "thread", there are multiple problems here. First, if you have your preferences set to receive this e-mail list in digest form, there is no thread. You will receive messages in the order they came in and it's hard to follow any one discussion.
I have my preferences set to receive individual e-mails and I have my e-mail program (Thunderbird) set to show the messages threaded. Still, there are major problems because of how members do things here. People cheat and reply to a post, change the subject and think they are starting a new thread. The thread this message will appear in is a prime example. Unless my mail program has messed up (doubt it) here is how this thread has gone:
First Ernest P started the thread as "Clover".
Then Claude J replied and changed the subject to "Bears".
A while later it appears that Donna replied and changed the subject to "amusing the audience".
Today, Ron replied to something in the thread and changed the subject to "Nafex Forum?" That is how the thread will continue for now.

The way things should be done is for everyone to hit reply when they want to continue a current discussion and then have <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org> in their address book and start a new message to that address when they want to start a new subject.

That will never happen because those who choose to read this in digest form can't possibly reply to any one subject and those who do not know how to read the messages in threaded form have no idea what the problem is because it looks all the same to them. Then some people are just too lazy to start a new message because it's so easy to just hit reply and type away. (Just my opinion... sorry.)

Steve

Ron wrote:
Hi all,
I'm a lurker, and just renewed my membership for two years so I'll be enjoying your insights, debates (and humor) for the near future.
Howerver, I would like some clarification. I see the word, "site", "posts", and even "forum" tossed around in emails. Is the e-mail newsgroup what you are all refering to? Or is there also a regular forum which has topics and searchability that I'm missing out on. Why I ask is that I find it hard to follow the "thread" of conversation. since they get all lumped together in my inbox.
Thanks,
Ron

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions. ----