nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Carpathian walnuts in the northeast

  • From: John Barbowski <jbarbowski@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Carpathian walnuts in the northeast
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 22:59:20 -0400

I grew up with a Carpathian, initially planted by a Reverend Crath who planted a 'Carpathian' sometime in the thirties. The tree was removed to make way for a double garage in 1960. About four months after the removal, a person knocked on out door and to our surprise, requested to see the tree as reported on a nutgrowers magazine, a copy of which was in his hand (including the tree address). The headline on the cover said "Tree Find of the Century"! A google search revealed the following:

http://manybooks.net/pages/northernnutgrowersassociation2570325703-8/108.html

In the sixties, my parents visited the 'homeland' and brought back with them some Carpathian nuts. One is growing well in Toronto and bears a good crop of nuts that aren't harvested. As Alan suggested, 'I'm sure the tree is on the dance list of every Tree Rat within a mile!'

Toronto is in Canadian Zone 6a, mid to high 20's C in July, (not this year - where Oh WHERE can global warming be?) and in winter to the -10 to -15C. Extremes can go to -25 winter and +35 summer - with humidity! The Carpathians seem to do okay, as they do for  the people who have transplanted some seedlings. The soil where the tree is planted is heavy clay that needs a jack-hammer to penetrate. - but the tree is doing well!

jmb