nafex - [NAFEX] Carpathian walnuts in the northeast

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Carpathian walnuts in the northeast
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 07:21:15 -0400

I've never seen a single walnut for sale at a farmer's market here.  Homeowners often see these trees offered in catalogues and plant them but I never hear of anyone harvesting them although I sometimes see them in people's yards.  They seem to have insect problems that would require an individual spray regimen (some kind of fly-maggot) and if you don't have a very large field to make squirrels very nervous to cross, your odds of harvesting any are probably pretty small. I am intrigued by the suggestion here of digging small holes and filling them with partially composted leaves to encourage squirrels to leave some nuts where you can find them.

I've had one good experience with black walnuts on a site I planted a couple.  I planted Surprise and another variety and the Surprise bore delicious nuts the third year (I got some very good sized bare-roots).  The trees are in the middle of a large open field, however.  I have a nephew who has wonderful crops of Carpathians in Idaho so I'm thinking they are better suited to the dry West.