nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pruning Apricots

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pruning Apricots
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 09:27:39 -0500

If the sap flows the trees will grow new branches and spurs and your trees
will be fine.

Great! That's good to hear. Thanks much!

If my cherry trees and your apricot trees both did this due to winter killed
buds, I hope last winter was unusually cold for your location. If so, maybe
it will not happen again.

No, it wasn't unusually cold here last winter. (It HAS been very dry, so that might have been a contributing factor.) But in my case, I think it was the normal circumstance of apricots just blooming too early here. The tree had started blooming when the temperature dropped to 23° one night. That killed the blossoms and the unopened flower buds, and I can only assume that it killed most of the leaf buds, too.

Here in Nebraska, we often get very warm spring weather - sometimes for weeks - followed by an arctic front that swoops down with a hard freeze. Well, it's not really a good place to grow apricots. So far, my attempts to delay them (I've got the Goldcot and also a two-year old Hardy Chinese - Mormon? Chinese Golden?) from breaking dormancy haven't worked too well. But I expected that when I planted them.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people. - Orson Welles