nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pruning Apricots

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pruning Apricots
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 20:39:49 -0500

Frost may have killed branches. Scratch the bark to see if it is green under
the bark. If the branches are thin, chances are the branch is dead.

None of the branches are actually dead (well, one or two very thin ones, I guess), because they are growing from the ends. It's just that there's a long bare space before then. And along the bigger branches, there are all these bare spurs.

I was just wondering if these bare areas would ever produce leaves and/or fruit again. It's been a very nice little tree, but it's about as big as I want it to get, so I'll be summer pruning the growing tips. But if these spurs and bare areas are gone for good, I'm not sure what can do.

Thanks,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
To turn $100 into $110 is work. To turn $100 million into $110 million is inevitable. - Edgar Bronfman