nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pruning blackberries

  • From: John Barbowski <jbarbowski@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pruning blackberries
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 13:05:47 -0400

I head my three hybrid blackberries (Black Satin and 2 unknown varieties from cuttings) at about 8-9 feet to force lateral growth at each node. This will stimulate increased fruit production by developing more nodes for the 2nd year.

My plants are in the open and supported by five 8' stakes, pounded into the ground. There are wire supports between the stakes at the 4' and uppermost levels. The sprouts are grown up through the middle of the support and hang over the wire supports to form an umbrella or palm like formation. It facilitates easy picking as the berries hang down and around like grapes.

I also have one plant growing along a brick, ivy covered wall. The runner is attached to to ivy for support. I let these canes grow longer to fit the available space.

jmb