nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pruning blackberries

  • From: Ed Fackler <ed.fackler@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pruning blackberries
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 12:56:02 -0400

Betsy:

     Even though Mark (growyourown) appropriately referred to my BS skills, a recent post indicated that those so-called erect varieties such as Quachatia, Apache, Arapaho, etc. could be handled with tipping a 4' (do it when they attain this size), I don't think the extremely vigorous varieties like Triple Crown can be grown free standing.  I have Triple Crown here with a single support (T post with bracing) and I tip them at around 6' - 6.5' and this occurs here in late June.  I'm located in S. Ind. near the Ohio River (which is near heaven!!).

ed