nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Chewed Cord

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Chewed Cord
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 08:32:19 -0500

You should call someone who handles submersible pumps and ask the cost of repair, and if you decide against it, offer it to the guy. He could probably make back his labor reselling it, and in these hard times, it would do someone some good. That said, I am a little puzzled. Yes, submersible pumps are sealed units, and I can't imagine mice getting inside one. If you are talking about the wire coming out of the pump, that would have to be replaced. Holes and splices in such wires are a problem, but not an insurmountable one. The entire length of wire could be replaced. We did that back 'way when, and then the short turned out NOT to be in the well. I could have killed the pump guy, who'd sat there with his test unit and said there was a dead short in the well. Many hours of work later, done by our landlord's brother and my husband, NOT the pump man at his extravagant rates, the pump still wouldn't run. My husband wound up digging the buried line from the pumphouse, and replacing that too, and then the pump ran. I'd like to know if they guy was trying to make work for himself, if he'd have charged for replacing the wire in the well, then for saying, oops that must not be it, and digging the underground line too. Usually plumbers are busy people, but I've heard stories... including some from a plumber. Donna