nafex - [NAFEX] Black Monukka Grape Opinions

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Black Monukka Grape Opinions
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 09:21:40 -0400

There is a grape tasting in the recent CRFG newsletter and I was surprised to see both NY Muscat and Muscat Hamburg near the bottom (Muscat Hamburg was at the bottom in fact).  What I think this says is these dark-skinned muscat grapes do not fit the mold of what most people think is a grape these days.  Jupiter was not in the tasting but my guess is it would have done better due to greater firmness and less muscat flavor, but it still would not have been near the top.  I had been recommending muscat grapes to people since they are my favorites, but these ratings made be pause a bit on that.

Scott

PS here are the actual ratings if anyone is curious:

 1 Red Flame
 2 Fantasy
 3 Reliance
 4 Suffolk Red
 5 Interlaken
 6 Himrod
 7 Venus
 8 Muscat St. Vallier
 9 Golden Muscat
 10 Cardinal
 11 Marquis
 12 Captivator
 13 Jefferson
 14 Brilliant
 15 Buffalo
 16 Iona
 17 Alden
 18 NY Muscat
 19 Mars
 20 Herbert
 21 Muscat Hamburg

Jupiter is firmer, and the vines are more productive than NY Muscat,
but NY Muscat has more muscat flavor.
-Lon Rombough