nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Coating branches with tangletrap

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Coating branches with tangletrap
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 08:27:50 -0500

If birds get tangle trap on them they will most likely die. I have seen a gooed up bird hopping on the turf near a tree where tangle trap was fairly horizontally applied. I was able to clean the bird's feathers with a solvent but it would have died otherwise. If you don't want to kill a lot of birds I suggest removing lower branches.

I used tangletrap one year as an insect barrier, and I found a couple of other problems, too. First, the stuff collected so much wind-blown trash that it very quickly ceased to be a barrier at all. It really wasn't worth the effort. Of course, it's pretty windy here in Nebraska. And I don't know if that would matter for squirrels (or for birds getting in it).

The second problem was that it's a real mess if you have to work around it. It seems to last forever, and I was always getting into it while trying to thin fruit, weed under the trees, or whatever. And then it's almost impossible to remove (well, I suppose that's why the squirrels would want to avoid it). You may be less of a klutz than I am, but I hated it. I'm not surprised that birds wouldn't be able to remove it from their feathers, and since I don't like the idea of torturing them to death, I suppose that's another reason to skip it.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
The future is knocking at our door right now. Make no mistake, the next generation will ask us one of two questions. Either they will ask, "What were you thinking; why didn't you act?" Or they will ask instead, "How did you find the moral courage to rise and successfully resolve a crisis that so many said was impossible to solve?" - Al Gore