nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Black Monukka Grape Opinions

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Black Monukka Grape Opinions
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 10:19:45 -0500

Wow! Red flame is nearly flavorless, although very sweet.

I'm not very familiar with grape varieties, but since I started growing Concord grapes a few years ago, I haven't been able to enjoy grocery store grapes of any kind. And it's exactly as you describe, they are very sweet, but nearly flavorless. It's like eating sugar water inside a grape skin.

It may be just personal taste, but I didn't notice this so much before I had the Concords. I guess I thought that sugar water was what a grape was SUPPOSED to taste like (except for the tiny wild grapes of my childhood, that made such wonderful juice). And yet, I can't get some people to even try my grapes,... because they've got SEEDS!

Last year, I planted one each of Swenson Red, Allwood, Kay Gray, and Jupiter, so I'm anxious to see how those will compare.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Without realizing it, we have begun to wage war on the Earth itself. Now, we and the Earth's climate are locked in a relationship familiar to war planners: mutually assured destruction. - Al Gore