nafex - Re: [NAFEX] St. Lawrence Nursery

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] St. Lawrence Nursery
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 00:31:14 -0400

You may be thinking of Bill's mentor Fred Ashworth from whom he acquired the nursery. I suspect that Bill was around at the beginning, but I'm not sure I would call him a founder except chronologically. I have been a member most of the time since 1976 but I am not a central person. The founders to my mind are the people like Fred Ashworth, Fred Janson, Robert Kurle and Milo Gibson.

I have a high opinion of Bill MacKentley but he tends to be short of time. I suspect that at times his record-keeping may fall short of perfection, and it could be that not all his employees met requirements.
You may recall that his listing as cold-hardiness consultant said "don't e-mail, phone."

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario

Richard MURPHY wrote:

I'm pretty sure Bill MacKently, the owner, is one of the founders of NAFEX.
If someone at his farm shipped out some crap plants, I can't believe he authorized it.
I've had decent response.
Jim; I think you must have caught them at a bad time.
Always call, if anyone omits plant size.
BTW:
'row run' is secret code for 'little tiny piece of shit' plant.
Murph