nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Neighbors

  • From: "Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Neighbors
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 21:34:13 -0500

Melissa,
I never got the idea from this thread that inflicting
pain on young children was the intent in installing
an electric fence for deer/pest exclusion. Certainly
not mine.

For some reason, some people seem to think that young
children can't learn things, but from a very young
age - like 2 - my kids learned and KNEW to stay away
from the electric fence(and I don't think all 4 of
them had a personal encounter with it), where to go
to be safe and out of the way when we're working with
the cows, to immediately go to a safe, VISIBLE
location whenever they hear the tractor, and perhaps
most importantly - to STOP when we shout STOP!
You have to teach these important survival skills
early on, if you're in a rural/farm setting; life may
depend on it. I guess the importance of these
lessons has largely been lost to the urban populace.

Lucky