nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Illustrating, "bark in the slip"

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Illustrating, "bark in the slip"
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 22:10:06 EDT

In a message dated 4/8/2009 7:18:45 PM Central Daylight Time, Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov writes:

I just had a dissapointing experience this evening. I have been waiting to perform a bark graft on my persimmon root stock.  I dutifully checked some top growth to make sure that the bark 'slipped'. It did.  I then proceeded to cut off the top growth and prepared the scion. I cut the bark on the rootstock (about 1/2" caliper).  It did not slip.

Does this mean that rootstock readiness moves form shoot to root and is not simultaneous?

Dear Betsy,

I've never experienced that. I'm completely dumbfounded.

So I'm going to guess what to do. I'd try the bark graft anyway, trying not to tear the bark which will be nearly impossible. Or wait a week, cut off another maybe two inches and see if it the cambium has started growing new cells causing it to come into the slip.

Hopefully another on the net will have an answer. You can always let it send out a new shoots and graft it next year.

Sorry I'm of no help. I feel quite useless!

Jerry

New Deals on Dell Netbooks – Now starting at $299 (A HREF="http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219939010x1201342897/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B213771626%3B35379597%3Bw)"