nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafting

  • From: Richard O'Barr <topgun@otelco.net>
  • To: dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafting
  • Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 21:13:17 -0500

dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com wrote:
Well, this spring we will find out how well scions cut in early spring and grafted within 2 weeks of cutting will take. I have 50 G11, 50 G16 and 300 M9 rootstocks that we are grafting Jonagored scions to. We are also going to line them out in raised beds under a low tunnel system for 3 - 4 weeks to see if the grafts callous quicker under the low tunnel with drip irrigation. The scions were cut last Friday, wrapped in bundles of 50 with wet newsprint wrapped around the ends, then wrapped in plastic and stored in our cooler at 40 degrees. Our cooler is shut off in the off season and stay at a pretty steady temp of 40 degrees when off. So we'll see how they turn out!
Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
Office (815) 648-4467
Mobile (815) 228-2174